Facilities

Bishop House

DSC_0344
Bishop House is home to the CED Finance staff and faculty offices. It was built in 1837 and named for Thomas Bishop, an Athens merchant and farmer.READ MORE

Though not part of the North Campus quads, Bishop House is among the oldest existing university structures.  Thomas Bishop came to Athens from Massachusetts in 1935 and opened a grocery store.  He bought several acres of land on Jackson Street from the university Trustees and built this house, which remained in the possession of his descendants for more than one hundred years.

bishop house_special collections

One of the earliest remaining examples of Greek Revival architecture in Athens, the house was part of a farm that included a carriage house and stables, barns, a smokehouse, and fields for growing corn and vegetables.  It is believed to be one of the first in Athens with running water, and it was long noted for beautiful landscaping that included boxwood plantings, flowering shrubs, and giant shade trees.  UGA bought the property in 1942, and the house has been remodeled several times.  It has been used as a residence hall for students and faculty members, offices and studios for the Art Department and home of the Classics Department.  Bishop House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Dendy, Larry B, Through the Arch; An Illustrated Guide to the University of Georgia Campus, (University of Georgia Press, 2013)

 

Broad Street Studios

SONY DSC

The Broad Street facility is dedicated to studio space, a critique room, and community affairs. The College’s Public Service and Outreach programs are located in this building.READ MORE

Pulaski_at_Broad015A 1950 view of the building that is now Broad Street Studios, middle right in the photograph. From Athens, Georgia, published by the Mayor and Council of the City of Athens. Courtesy of the University of Georgia Special Collections Libraries.

 

Circle Gallery

slide10[1]

The Circle Gallery, located just inside the main entrance of the Jackson Street Building, is dedicated to lively interpretations of environmental design. Seven exhibits per year feature works by a wide variety of local and nationally recognized artists and designers, with the goal of engaging students and inspiring the community in interdisciplinary considerations and discussion. READ MORE

GalleryPagePic

The Circle Gallery space reflects the original modernist intent of Joseph Amisano’s inspired design for the Jackson Street Building. Free and open to the public, the Circle Gallery is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. during the academic year, and by appointment during the summer.

View exhibit schedule, current exhibit, and past exhibits!

Contact the Circle Gallery:

Melissa Tufts, Director
121 Jackson Street Building
706-542-8292
mtufts@nulluga.edu

Map & Directions

 

Denmark Hall

Denmark_Hall_-_ADT-t-26303-019-474x348

Denmark Hall is home to CED’s Historic Preservation students and some Master of Landscape Architecture students. The space includes studios, lecture classrooms, and a digital media lab.READ MORE

Denmark

BUILT: 1901 | NAMED FOR: Brantley A. Denmark, leader of the first alumni fund-raising drive

This building was erected as the campus dining hall, and student called it the “beanery,” an uncomplimentary reference to the quality of food it served.  When the dining hall was moved in 1956, most of the building was converted into classroom, studio, and office space for the Landscape Architecture department.  A small luncheonette called the Co-op, relocated from New College in the early 1950s, remained in the basement for a number of years.

Denmark

Brantly Denmark, Class of 1871, was a prominent Savannah banker and university trustee.  In 1897 the Alumni Society chose him to lead the university’s first organized fund-raising drive.  The effort brought in $40,000 for an endowment that later was used to begin construction of the War Memorial Hall (not called Memorial Hall).  When Denmark died in 1901, this building was named for him.  The metal sculpture in front of the main entrance, titled Field Cell, was created by Jack Kehoe, a UGA art professor, and presented to Hubert Owens, the founder of the landscape architecture program, on his retirement in 1973.

Dendy, Larry B, Through the Arch; An Illustrated Guide to the University of Georgia Campus, (University of Georgia Press, 2013)

Denmark2

On May 25, 1901, the Athens Daily Banner reported that work had begun on the University of Georgic campus for two new buildings, a dining hall and a dormitory, using convict labor provided by the Clarke County Commission to grade the land.

 

 

 

Founders Memorial Garden

Founders Memorial Garden Boxwood

The Founders Memorial Garden and House provides a learning laboratory for students from all disciplines and is used for events such as Alumni Weekend.

 

Jackson Street Building

CED_Jackson-street-building-trees
The Jackson Street Building is a large, recently renovated, mid-century modern building that houses the college administrative offices, Landscape Architecture programs (MLA & BLA), Owens Library, and the Circle Gallery. Academic space includes large design studios, lecture classrooms, and faculty offices.READ MORE

BUILT: 1961

This building stood in stark contrast to the traditional architecture of North campus when it opened as the Visual Arts Building, home of the Department of Art.  Designed by the Atlanta architect Joseph Amisano to symbolize the creative energy and artistic vision of the department and its guiding light, the legendary UGA artist and art professor Lamar Dodd, the modernist fifty-three-thousand-square-foot structure was derided as the “Ice Plant” for its glass walls, high vaulted ceilings, and geometric lines.  But it won national awards for innovative design and served almost five decades as a training ground for thousands of aspiring artists, sculptors, designers, and teachers, many of whose creations were displayed in the building’s galleries and on its lawns.  In 1996, the department became the Lamar Dodd School of Art, and in 2008 the school vacated the building for a new home on East Campus.  The building served as transitional space until 2011, when a $9.9 million renovation—a model of environmentally sustainable design—converted it into the new home of the College of Environment and Design.

The building, received LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold certification, is the first on campus to have rooftop solar panels, which were installed on the south-facing slopes of the roof’s skylights.  The seventy-two photovoltaic panels capture enough sunlight to generate about thirty thousand kilowatt hours of electricity each year—sufficient to power up to ninety florescent-light fixtures—and will pay for themselves in fourteen years through lower electricity costs.  The building’s numerous glass windows were replaced with glass that transfers less heat but allows natural light to filter into spacious open studios.  Highly efficient heating and cooling systems were installed, along with a twenty-fie-thousand-gallon cistern that collects rain and condensate from the cooling system for reuse in mechanical systems and for toilet flushing.  About 90 percent of the glass and other materials removed in the renovation were recycled.

Dendy, Larry B, Through the Arch; An Illustrated Guide to the University of Georgia Campus, (University of Georgia Press, 2013)

 

Owens Library

SONY DSC

The Owens Library strives to expand the body of knowledge of landscape architecture, historic preservation, environmental planning and design, and environmental ethics. The goal is to promote a deeper understanding of environmental, cultural, and land use principles and issues, and engage our community in academic scholarship.READ MORE

Owens Library, named in honor of the founder of the landscape architecture program at the University of Georgia, Hubert Bond Owens, is open to the public weekdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. during the academic year and posted hours during the summer.

Our collection is supported by the College of Environment and Design, donations, and support from our patrons and is a combination of books, journals, theses and senior projects. There are over 7000 items in the circulating collection. Owens Library works in conjunction with the university’s Main Library in that our books are cataloged within its system: http://www.libs.uga.edu/.

Owens Library books may be returned to the Main Library, just as Main Library and Science Library books may be returned to Owens Library for discharge. There is also a book drop at the main entrance of the Jackson Street Building for after-hours returns.

In addition to current journals and cataloged books, Owens Library oversees various donated collections of materials reflective of our programs’ endeavors. These include photographs, plans, drawings, videos, and rare books that are not in circulation. In addition to the physical collection in Owens Library, our staff oversees the College of Environment and Design’s digital portal on the Athenaeum site of the UGA Main Library. This includes various publications and projects produced by our faculty, students and staff.

Other services of the Owens Library include: desktop computers for student, faculty and staff use, copier/scanner, and research assistance.

Contact the Owens Library:

121 Jackson Street Building
706-542-8292
owenslib@nulluga.edu

Melissa Tufts, Director:
mtufts@nulluga.edu

 

Tanner Building

tanner

The Tanner Building, located next to the North Campus parking deck, houses Master of Environmental Planning and Design students, and some Master of Landscape Architecture students. The facility includes studio space, a large lecture classroom, and two computer labs. It was built in 1909 and named for Tanner Lumber Company.READ MORE

Tanner elevations 1997

This building began as a 50-foot-by-50-foot wooden structure erected in the late 1880s or early 1890s as a warehouse for the Central of Georgia Railroad.  The Carter-Moss Lumber Company bought the structure in 1896 and added this brick building in 1909 as the front of the business.  The brothers Tom and Gus Dozier purchased the business in 1926 and operated it as the Dozier Company until an employee, Johnnie B. Tanner Sr., bought it in 1947, when it became the Tanner Lumber Company.

Tanner Lumber Company date unknown

Tanner and his eldest son, J. Bryson Tanner Jr., operated the company until the senior tanner’s death in 1995, by which time the building and the 1.3 acres it occupied were surrounded by UGA property.  The university, which wanted the land for a parking deck, bought the building and the land in 1996 for $800,000, with the understanding that the building would be preserved.  In 1998, it underwent a $245,000 renovation to install air-conditioning and update its electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems. The building housed programs of the Lamar Dodd School of Art until 2008.  Behind the building is the $10 million North Campus Parking Deck, with spaces for more than twelve hundred vehicles, which also opened in 1998.

Dendy, Larry B, Through the Arch; An Illustrated Guide to the University of Georgia Campus, (University of Georgia Press, 2013)