MLA Application Requirements
The Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA) program enrolls up to 18 students each year into the three-year track, and approximately 10 students in the accelerated tracks.
In order to be considered for assistantships, applicants are required to submit the following by January 15:
- Graduate School Application Form and Fee Payment (International students click here).
- UNOFFICIAL academic transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be included in your online application. Official transcripts will be required for those admitted to UGA. More information.
- Graduate Record Exam scores
- Three letters of recommendation – As part of the online application, you will need to furnish accurate email address information for individuals to provide three letters of recommendation. The link for the form will be electronically sent to your recommender while completing the online application.
- A letter of intent, outlining the reasons for the applicant’s interest in landscape architecture, the relevance of previous education and experience, and the applicant’s aims and ambitions. The letter should include how the applicant found out about landscape architecture as a potential field of study and work, why landscape architecture is the right field for the applicant, and what kind of application or contribution within the field is anticipated. The letter of intent is also the applicant’s opportunity to provide any additional information that might help the faculty to evaluate the applicant fully and accurately.
- Although not required, a campus visit and meeting with the Graduate Coordinator is recommended for all applicants within half a day’s traveling time of Athens. Visits are strongly encouraged for all others who can arrange to travel to Athens. Visits assist the school in evaluating applicants accurately, and help applicants in selecting a school that can best meet their specific needs. Accommodations at the Georgia Center are available at a discount for prospective grad students. To arrange a campus visit, call 706-542-4720 or email email@example.com
- Applicants with prior training or experience in landscape architecture or another design field must submit a design portfolio. There are no restrictions on portfolio format; we request only that material be neat and easy to read. Slides and digital portfolios are not accepted, with an exception only for international students. If you wish us to return the portfolio by mail, you must enclose an appropriately stamped, self-addressed envelope.
- Applicants from non-design backgrounds are strongly encouraged to submit a portfolio, as it can give a more complete picture of creative aptitude. The portfolio may include evidence of creative accomplishments in art, photography, theater, writing, music, dance, etc.
- Send design portfolio to:
College of Environment & Design
285 South Jackson Street
Athens, GA 30602
- International students only, submit digital portfolios* (pdf attachment no larger than 6mb) via email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org *Web-based downloadable pdf portfolios are not accepted.
- Send design portfolio to:
Applicants from foreign countries where English is not the native language are required in addition to submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores or the IELTS.
Send 1) test scores and 2) official transcripts from all institutions (required if admitted) to:
UGA Graduate School Admissions Office
210 South Jackson Street
Athens, Georgia 30602-4401
Matriculation in fall semester is encouraged; however, applications will be received throughout the year until spaces are filled. For mid-cycle application deadlines, refer to the Graduate School website http://grad.uga.edu/
Acceptance letter response required; a letter of acceptance from the graduate school does not guarantee your place in the MLA program. The applicant must indicate acceptance of the admissions offer in writing.