Strategic Plan for CED
The College of Environment and Design’s Strategic Plan is based on the need to prepare graduates of our programs to practice in a future world very different from that of the past. During this period of unprecedented change, the most pressing social and environmental needs directly align with the values and expertise long held by the professions represented by the CED’s programs: landscape architecture; historic preservation; and urban and regional planning.
In promoting denser development; new transportation innovations; sustainable development; the restoration and reuse of existing structures and landscapes; environmental advocacy, interpretation, and education; advanced technologies; sound participatory practices; and international engagement, the College of Environment and Design is taking a leadership position among academic institutions with similar programs.
From that flagship position, the CED at UGA will make a real world difference through high quality applied research, innovative teaching, and outstanding service. Universities will need to take a lead in providing the research required by professional practitioners as they design, plan, and manage environments around the world. Practitioners and academics will work together to provide answers to important questions:
• How will a landscape planned for the production of bio-fuels differ from that of fossil fuels?
• How will great increases in the cost of gasoline affect urban patterns, food production and distribution, and transportation innovations?
• In which ways might technology be used to make better decisions about landscape interventions?
• How will globalization affect professional practice and site-specific landscape decisions?
• What are the ways to improve methods of participatory practice?
• How will design and planning professions help to create a healthier populace?
The College of Environment and Design at the University of Georgia is committed to searching for answers to those and other questions as we education the next generations of students.
CLICK HERE to download a copy of the College’s strategic plan.