MLA Application Requirements
All MLA applicants are expected to apply under the “prospective candidate for a degree” admission category. All admitted students enter in the fall semester.
All applicants are required to submit the following by December 31:
- Academic transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Graduate Record Exam scores
- Three references (electronic forms are available from the Graduate School as part of the online application process)
- A letter of intent, outlining the reasons for the applicant’s interest in landscape architecture, the relevance of previous education and experience, and the applicant’s aims and ambitions. The letter should include how the applicant found out about landscape architecture as a potential field of study and work, why landscape architecture is the right field for the applicant, and what kind of application or contribution within the field is anticipated. The letter of intent is also the applicant’s opportunity to provide any additional information that might help the faculty to evaluate the applicant fully and accurately.
- Although not required, admission interviews are recommended for all applicants within half a day’s traveling time of Athens; for these applicants the interview must be conducted before an admission decision can be made. Interviews are strongly encouraged for all others who can arrange to travel to Athens. Interviews assist the school in evaluating applicants accurately, and applicants in selecting a school that can best meet their specific needs. Accomodations at the Georgia Center are available at a discount for prospective grad students. To arrange an interview, call 706-542-4720 or e-mail
Applicants from foreign countries where English is not the native language are required in addition to submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores or the IELTS.
Applicants with prior training or experience in landscape architecture or another design field must submit a design portfolio. There are no restrictions on portfolio format; we request only that material be neat and easy to read. Slides and digital portfoilios are discouraged. If you wish us to return the portfolio by mail, you must enclose an appropriately stamped, self-addressed envelope.
Application forms, instructions, and fee payment are found at the Graduate School admissions website. As part of the online application, you will need to furnish complete email address information for recommenders for three letters of recommendation. The link for the form will be electronically sent to your recommender while completing the online application.
Official transcripts from all institutions, and test scores are sent to:
UGA Graduate School Admissions Office
320 East Clayton Street
Athens, Georgia 30602-4401
For the department, send letter of intent, and optional design portfolio to:
College of Environment & Design
104 Denmark Hall
115 Bocock Street
Athens, GA 30602