Associate Professor, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs
David Spooner is an Associate Professor and Associate Dean of Academic Affairs at CED. He holds an undergraduate degree in Horticultural Science from North Carolina State University and a Master of Landscape Architecture from The University of Georgia. He is a licensed landscape architect with 15 years of private practice experience.
Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA) from The University of Georgia (1997)
B.S. in Horticulture Science from North Carolina State University (1994)
My research interest broadly centers on the complex relationship between people and the built environment. Related interests include environmental psychology, spatial design theory, human scale, landscape photography and campus design.
Photography, Drawing, Gardening, and Trail Running
- Spooner, David D. (2014) “Improving Campus Sustainability through Human Health and Well-being”. Approved for Publication in upcoming issue of Planning for Higher Education.
- Spooner, David D. (2011) “Ten Minutes Wide – Human Capacities and Campus Design”. Planning for Higher Education, Vol. 39 No. 4 July-September, pp.11-22.
- Spooner, David D. (2008) “Assessing the Learning Value of Campus Open Spaces through Post-Occupancy Evaluation”, Planning for Higher Education, Vol. 36 No. 3 April-June, pp.44-55.
- Spooner, David D. (2007) “Enclosure and Walkability: An Italian Street Study”. EDRA 38: Building Sustainable Communities, Environmental Design Research Association, Sacramento, California, pp.85-89.
American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA)
Environmental Design Research Association (EDRA)
Licensed Landscape Architect (Georgia #1251 and North Carolina #1244)
Honors and Awards
- 2015 GSLA Faculty of the Year
- 2006-2007 Lilly Teaching Fellow – The University of Georgia
- 2006 Excellence in Design Studio Teaching – Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture (CELA)
113 Jackson Street Building
285 S. Jackson Street
Athens, GA 30602